The GNOME.Asia Committee is inviting interested parties to submit proposals for hosting GNOME.Asia Summit during the 2nd quarter of 2017.
GNOME.Asia Summit is the featured annual GNOME Conference in Asia. The event focuses primarily on the GNOME desktop, but also covers applications and the development platform tools. It brings together the GNOME community in Asia to provide a forum for users, developers, foundation leaders, governments and businesses to discuss the present technology and future developments.
GNOME.Asia Summits have been held in Beijing, Ho-Chi-Minh City, Taipei, Bangalore, Hong Kong, Seoul, Beijing, Depok, New Delhi respectively over the last nine years.
The Committee’s preference is to find a new location each year in order to spread GNOME throughout Asia and we are looking for local organizers to rise to the challenge of organizing an excellent GNOME event. The GNOME.Asia committee will assist in the process, but there is a definitive need for individuals to be actively involved and committed to the planning and execution of the event.
You can learn more about GNOME.Asia Summit at: http://www.gnome.asia
The GNOME Board and Release team are happy to announce that the GNOME version to be released in March will be named after the the city where the GNOME.Asia Summit will take place.
Interested parties are hereby invited to submit a formal proposal to the GNOME Asia Summit Committee. The deadline for the proposals is the 11th of September 2016. Please email your proposal to gnome-asia-committee-list<at>gnome<dot> org. We might invite you to present your proposal in more detail over our regular IRC meetings or send you additional questions and requests. Results will be announced by the first week of October 2016.
The conference will require availability of facilities for 3-5 days, including a weekend, during the 2nd quarter of 2017 (between March and June). Final event dates should avoid other key free software conferences or other events that may conflict and will be confirmed together with other GNOME teams which might get involved. Key points which each proposals should consider and which will be taken into account when deciding among candidates, are:
- Local community support for hosting the conference.
- Venue details. Information about infrastructure and facilities to hold the conference should be provided.
- Preliminary schedule with main program & different activities.
- Information about how Internet connectivity will be managed.
- Lodging choices ranging from affordable housing to nicer hotels, and information about distances between the venue and lodging options.
- The availability of restaurants or the organization of catering on-site, cost of food/soft drinks/beer.
- The availability and cost of travel from major Asian and European cities.
- Local industries, universities and government support.
- Please provide a reasonably detailed budget (sponsorships, expenses, etc).
- Provide plans for local sponsorships
You are welcome to contact gnome-asia-committee-list AT gnome org if you have any questions.
Please help to spread the word and we are looking forward to hearing from you soon!