The GNOME.Asia Committee is inviting interested parties to submit proposals for hosting the GNOME.Asia Summit during the second half of 2020.
GNOME.Asia Summit is the featured annual GNOME Conference in Asia. The event focuses primarily on the GNOME desktop, but also covers applications and the development platform tools. It brings together the GNOME community in Asia to provide a forum for users, contributors, foundation leaders, governments, and businesses to discuss the current technology and future developments.
Over the last twelve years, GNOME.Asia Summit has been held in many cities throughout Asia, including Gresik, Beijing, Ho-Chi-Minh City, Taipei, Bangalore, Hong Kong, Seoul, Beijing, Depok, New Delhi, and Chongqing.
The Committee’s preference is to find a new location each year in order to spread GNOME throughout Asia, and we are looking for local organizers to rise to the challenge of organizing an excellent GNOME event. The GNOME.Asia committee will assist in the process, but there is a definitive need for individuals to be actively involved and committed to the planning and execution of the event.
How to Submit a Proposal:
Interested parties are hereby invited to submit a formal proposal to the GNOME.Asia Committee. The deadline for the proposals is January 17th, 2020. Please email your proposal to email@example.com.
We might invite you to present your proposal in more details over our regular IRC meetings, or send you additional questions and requests. Results will be announced by the second week of February 2020.
The conference might require availability of facilities for 3-5 days, including a weekend, during the second half of 2020. Final event dates should avoid other key free software conferences or other events that may conflict.
The key points that should be included in the proposal, and which will be used to decide among candidates, are.
- Local community support for hosting the conference.
- Venue details. Information about infrastructure and facilities to hold the conference should be provided.
- Preliminary schedule with main program & different activities.
- Information about how Internet connectivity will be managed.
- Lodging choices ranging from affordable housing to nicer hotels, and information about distances between the venue and lodging options.
- The availability of restaurants or the organization of catering on-site, cost of food/soft drinks/beer.
- The availability and cost of travel from major Asian and European cities.
- Local industries, universities and government support.
- Please provide a reasonably detailed budget (sponsorships, expenses, etc).
- Provide plans for local sponsorship.
- Provide plans to encourage student and youth participation.
Below, we have included resources for people interested in submitting a proposal. Please do not hesitate to contact the GNOME.Asia committee with any questions at gnome-asia-committee-list@gnome org.
We are looking forward to hearing from you soon!
– GNOME.Asia Committee
Resources for Interested GNOME.Asia 2020 Organizers:
 Wiki about GNOME Asia: http://wiki.gnome.org/GnomeAsia
 Check list: https://wiki.gnome.org/GnomeAsia/SummitCheckList
 HowTo’s: https://wiki.gnome.org/GnomeAsia/HowToOrganizeGNOME.Asia%20Summit
 GNOME Foundation conference requirements: https://wiki.gnome.org/Foundation/Conferences
 Sample winning proposal: http://wiki.gnome.org/GnomeAsia/2012Summit/Bids?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=Proposal_of_HongKong_GNOME_Asia_Hackfest_2012_20120124.pdf
Please help us spread the word! If you haven’t already, please follow us on Twitter: @gnome_asia and @gnome, and on Facebook.